Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day one of many


I guess today could really be considered the beginning of the moving process. Not that I haven't been packing since March, collecting boxes since February, or helping the good doctor send out CV's and cover letters since November. But, this is the actual move to a different part of the country beginning. We spent the early part of today finishing the last of the packing (Susan's den) and then trying to ensure everything she needed would fit into one carry on and two suitcases. Because she is headed to New Mexico for a two week intensive course on some music concept, one bag consisted completely of books. There was a lot of rearranging, standing on the scale with the suitcase (to make sure that the bag did not weigh more than 5o pounds), and rearranging again. In the end, all of the essentials made it into either the suitcases or the carry on. And frankly, I don't understand why it matters if the damn suitcase weighs more than 50 pounds because regardless we have to pay for it to fly. Since when do you have to buy your suitcase an extra ticket?

After I took the good doctor to Waynesboro to meet another teacher from Harrisonburg, I treated myself to a drive back down Route 11 to Lexington. Beyond anything else I am going to miss the mountains of Virginia. There is something comforting and slightly protective about the mountains that surround Lexington and Rockbridge County. They feel like home. I don't know whether this is an indication of my fondness for the area or just feeling comfortable with where I am. However, I am beginning to look forward to a new area, new culture, and new opportunities.

The next ten days are going to be jam packed with things to accomplish to get this move off the ground. With the good doctor safely in the air tomorrow morning at 6 am I will begin Phase 2 of the epic move. I need to finish packing the little things that are always left out before a move (hangers, tools, the fish).

No comments:

Post a Comment