Wednesday, August 19, 2009

6 degrees of separation

The one thing I have learned from Lawton in the short time I've been here, is that you are never too far from your beginnings. My parents lived in Lawton 34 years ago. My father was stationed at Fort Sill and he and my mother drove from Virginia to Fort Sill, Oklahoma in a shiny new car with a travel trailer behind it (or at least this is how my father told it to me). My mother wanted me to venture out and find the trailer park (yes...you heard it right...TRAILER PARK!) where she and my dad lived when they first arrived in Lawton. So, last Saturday Susan and I loaded up the dogs and decided to venture out into the great unknowns of Oklahoma to find this trailer park. We stumbled upon many interesting things along the way.....















We started down the road toward Meers, Oklahoma to find Oklahoma's biggest hamburger (Susan's idea...NOT MINE!!) on our way to the trailer park. Meers is a tiny tiny town north of Lawton that has only four residents. The residents run the only restaurant in the town which is known for their huge hamburgers (made from longhorn beef), BBQ, and fresh baked pie. On our way to Meers we saw HUGE windmills which Oklahoma uses to harness the power of the wind to produce electricity (I wonder if I can get one for the back yard).

















Right down the road from the herd of windmills we took a left onto a country road that reminded me of the Virginia back roads that I used to drive (home sweet home). The scenery is a bit different on the Great Plains but it was still nice to feel like you could lose yourself in the country for a little while.



























About three miles down this country road we saw the beginnings of Meers, Oklahoma. We knew we were there because cars were lined up on the side of the road. This is apparently the only parking available for the Meers Restaurant. And...I give you...The Meers Restaurant.

















Hold your applause. It may not be much to look at...but judging by the cars in the "parking lot (by the side of the road" it is very popular. Susan has determined that she wishes to celebrate her birthday here (she always picks the most high class establishments!), so we will be returning next weekend.

After doing a drive up on the Meers Restaurant we proceeded to drive toward the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. My personal hope was to see the prairie dogs again (love me some prairie dog). Instead, we decided to drive up Mount Scott (not really a mountain...but in Oklahoma terms it might as well be Everest). I discovered many things about Comanche County while on top of this "mountain"...there is a lake!!! I had no clue....























































































After our adventure to the top of Mount Scott we decided to leave the wildlife refuge. On our way out I saw something meandering on the side of the road. Just slowly ambling along on the edge of the pavement without a care in the world.















Susan rolled down the window so I could get a good picture. Not only did the dogs go nuts...but a smell filled the truck unlike anything ever experienced before. It was like locker room, mixed with dog poop, rolled in pig slop, and left out to dry for 300 years. The smell is still in the upholstery of the truck....

Our last stop on our way home was the humble beginnings on my parents. The trailer park. So, for you mom....here is home sweet home.
























































No comments:

Post a Comment